Hydrogen Energy Storage System
Hydrogen-based autonomous energy supply system
The next stage for energy
Following the 2011 earthquake and tsunami.
The need for a stable energy supply during disasters, when essential utilities are lost, is clear. In recent years, renewable energy has been seen as an emergency solution. However renewables depend on the weather and can be unstable. Toshiba has a better solution: H2One™.
This new energy supply system offers a total one-stop solution, from using renewable energy to produce and store hydrogen, to using that hydrogen in fuel cells.
In normal use and in disasters, H2One™ contributes to energy supply stability by using hydrogen generated with renewable energy.
Usually (under normal circumstances)
Usage and storage of each of the electricity, hot water, and hydrogen used in facilities are monitored and optimum control for operation is carried out in order to reduce the electricity charges and the amount of CO2 emissions.
In an emergency (in times of disaster)
Independently supplies electricity and hot water when a natural disaster strikes.The system in the world standard size can be transported anywhere in an emergency.
H2One™, Hydrogen-based autonomous energy supply system
utilizing renewable energy and hydrogen
Residential-Use Fuel Cell ENE FARM
Highly efficient, residential-use cogeneration system
- No transmission loss of power occurs from the generation of power where it is used.
- The heat emitted from power generation is efficiently used for hot water supply and heating.
Features and Sales of Toshiba ENE FARM
- The ENE FARM systems have the world’s highest performance
- The highest level of combined efficiency in the world: 95%
- Industry-longest battery life: 80,000 hours
- Equipped with a stand-alone function for continuous operation even when the power supply is cut off.
- Supports different fuels (natural gas, LPG and Japanese-produced natural gas) and cold districts (outdoor temperature of -20℃).
- Small footprint (depth of 70cm): Installed in a pipe shaft for housing complex use.
- Due to expanding needs of residential-use power sources and favorable market conditions, the accumulated total number of shipments reached 50,000 in September 2014 (Top share in industry: Exceeding 50%).
More information about ENE FARM
Pure Hydrogen Fuel Cell System
Pure Hydrogen Fuel Cell System Developed Based on Outcomes of Development of Natural gas/LPG ENE FARM systems
- Since no fuel reformer (device used to extract hydrogen from natural gas, etc.) is required, the system can be more compact, efficient, and start more rapidly.
- The system can realize CO2-free operation by using hydrogen derived from renewable energy generated by photovoltaic power generation, wind power generation, and biomass.
Pure hydrogen fuel cell system vs. ENE FARM
|Pure hydrogen fuel cell||ENE FARM|
|Fuel||Pure hydrogen||Natural gas/LPG|
|Generating efficiency||55% LHV or more||39% LHV|
|Overall efficiency||95% LHV or more||95% LHV|
|FC unit size||310 (W) x 441 (D) x 1162 (H)||780 (W) x 300 (D) x 1000 (H)|
|Startup time||Within 5 minutes||Within 60 minutes|
Advantages of introduction of pure hydrogen fuel cells
High generating efficiency
Realizes high versatility no matter how the heat demand of the facility may be.
High environmental performance
When compared with a gas engine generator, this system produces less operating noise, less vibration, and cleaner exhaust gas.
Contributes to reduction of CO2 emissions from the facility.
Short startup and stop time. High load-following performance
Because of the load-following operation and control of the number of running units, the system can supply stable power and flexibly respond to fluctuating demand.
Contributing to an increase in local energy self-sufficiency
Hydrogen can be produced even from renewable energy in the community.
The system can be used in an emergency to supply power.
Hydrogen Energy Storage System
Large Capacity Hydrogen Energy Storage System
- produce grid electricity : 5MWe
- store hydrogen tank storage capacity : 12,000Nm³ ((hydrogen tank 60m³ at 20MPa))
- use electricity storage capacity : 32MWeh ex. provide electricity for 8 hours to about 25,000~30,000 people